Pages

Monday 18 August 2014

The Tree Story




I am a tree,aged atleast 20 years old.I am tall and imposing, standing all alone in the campus MITE.Once upon a time I was a seed that sprout into a young sapling, when it started raining here on the hillside.I began a new life.I was fresh and I flourished.Now, I stand on the ground,proud and firm,on My Mother,the fertile earth.I’ve grown very tall now, and I am the first in this area to feel the rain drops on my leaves when it rains. My life is very interesting now, I see a huge spectrum of youngsters flocking in and out of their college,their funny gestures, and hear all kinds of conversation of the students who pass by me.

A few years ago,the college authorities put a concrete wall like boundary around me. This was done to beautify the campus.But I almost became alone because my very next tree friend lives 50 m away from me. We would have a great time before,when the wind blowed,we would swing and enjoy. When it rained, we would get wet and have lots of fun in the cold water. But when I was cut off from my tree friends ,I felt very sad but now,I am happy as I am in a college campus,I have always had the pleasure of a lot of company daily and, the great honour of being able to provide shade for these youngsters here every day.And once a year,I have this great opportunity to get decorated with beautiful and colourful miniature lightings during this college fest called Sentia.I enjoy the sounds and rustle-bustle during this time of the year. And,this time I am eagerly waiting for the basketball matches of these kids,as the court is ready,other then the cricket matches that I witness daily evening and sometimes ,even throwball and volleyball matches.

Ever since this college started functioning, I remember several students coming near my root and sit on the broad platform-like wall around me,they chit-chat,have fun,some have their snacks sitting in the platform built around me .I enjoy listening to their talks but what I don’t like is they throw the plastic wrappers and covers around me.If this continues my roots can’t breathe well and I wont get enough water to drink.I have heard this is a Engineering college,so I know these kids are smart and responsible,so they should know about how am suffering because of these plastics,and of course,-Kids,its your campus, so make it a plastic –free zone to help us all living beings and help yourselves too.

But, true,as I stand here, near a temple, I never ever feel lonely I get all sorts of company from you kids throughout the day, so, where is the scope of feeling lonely. Early in the morning the campus is opened at 9 a.m. It is cleaned everyday,so I get the company of people who clean the premises too. They come to me also and broom the area around me,and I am all set to welcome my guests for the day. After the college siren makes its call , at 5 p.m. students start pouring in and around me, with some sitting and waiting for their college bus to leave,some chit-chatting,it continues till 7 p.m.until all the kids go back to their home and hostels.I stand alone for the night except for the birds that break the silence of the night.

Students continue sitting around me in the platform right from afternoon till they leave. These long hours of the day, there is no chance of me getting bored as, I have the company of so many people moving around the area. Even though I am alone, a lonely tree but, my life is full of thrill and excitement, as I get lots of, and variety of company. I love to hear the laughters and giggles of these youngsters.This in turn is an added honour for me that, while my friends have the company of trees only, I have the company of human beings who talk and walk and discuss matters to make my life more lively and enjoyable.Every year new students come here and I am the one who sees and knows them all.

My life is just wonderful looking at the aims,aspirations and eagerness filled in the eyes and smiles of these youngsters, I pray to God that HE grant such a wonderful and eventful life to all humans.

One thing I forgot to tell you all, about my life. When people come and sit on the platform around me, I also get a lot of information about man’s world.Other than the T.V serial stories and gossips and discussion of their class and subjects, I also hear evils that exist in this man’s world. At times I also get to hear two best friends sharing their joys and sorrows. I feel what a beautiful life men have.

Thus to add to my experience of life, I have come to know a lot about human beings and their lives. Their lives are also full of pleasures and disappointments. It is not that men only enjoy, as we,the lesser being’s seem to feel. Men also have their own problems. So, to end up I’d say my life is a pleasure and a rich experience with the hopes that I share . People think we trees don’t have any feelings but they don’t understand that we too feel happy and miserable at times. I don’t know how many days more I will survive but I know one thing that one day,these kids will recognise my existence here ...

- Manisha Devashya

*This tree is located in the MITE,Mudbidri Campus
(Published in Spectrum 2013 - MITE Annual Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment